- April 25, 2023
- Posted by: Josh Knoll
- Categories: DME Billing, DME Billing Services
Durable medical equipment (DME) billing is a critical segment in the healthcare industry. This is mainly because, today with the growing industry DME serves millions of individuals capturing a vast market.
However, managing the complex billing processes and reimbursements associated with DME can be an area of concern for many.
With the expansion of regulatory requirements, code changes and different payers’ requirements, a DME provider not only faces mounting administrative burdens but encounters numerous errors. Hence, understanding the DME billing needs is quite essential today for receiving adequate reimbursement and avoiding claim denials or rejections and significant losses for your practices.
In fact, here are some of the most common DME billing requirements one must be aware of – in order to receive an adequate reimbursement amount or if you are looking for a seamless DME billing transaction.
Defining DME Billing and Coding and it Billing Coverage Conditions:
DME billing is the process of generating and submitting claims for durable medical equipment provided to patients. It does not include equipment or devices used solely for convenience rather than meeting a medical need.
Whereas, DME coding is where certified coders submit insurance claims using HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) codes, facilitating the tracking of supplies and equipment given to patients and enabling Medicare and other insurers in order to process health insurance claims more efficiently.
In fact, DME billing services are covered only when specific conditions are met, including:
- The patient has DME benefits, and a healthcare professional recommends the equipment to treat or diagnose a long-term disease or illness
- The equipment is not excluded in the patient benefit plan document or history
- DME is not consumable or disposable unless necessary for the effective use of covered DME
- The patient cannot use DME in the absence of disease, illness, or disability
- DME is provided or ordered by healthcare professionals for outpatient use in home settings and used solely for medical purposes
Detailed DME Billing Coverage Limitations:
Furthermore, DME billers should be aware of various medical billing coverage limitations, such as:
- Coverage benefits apply to only one DME that meets the minimum patient requirements when a patient uses multiple DME to meet functional needs. This limitation eliminates coverage for deluxe or additional components not required to address patients’ minimal needs in treating chronic diseases or illnesses.
- Patients are responsible for the cost difference between items or devices purchased or rented when they acquire DME that exceeds the guidelines outlined above.
Detailed DME Billing Coverage Exclusions:
DME billing services encompass accessories or devices primarily intended for patient comfort and convenience. However, insurance companies do not cover specific DME devices, including:
- Air purifiers and filters
- Air conditioners
- Non-medical equipment batteries
- Non-medical mobility devices (excluding Pediatric billing)
- Remodeling or modifications to a home or vehicle to accommodate DME or a patient’s condition
With all such complications, you need professional help to optimize your medical billing and so Sunknowledge Services Inc is here to help.
Sunknowledge tackling all your DME Billing Challenges and its needs:
Optimizing the billing Process for higher reimbursements, Sunknowledge for the last 15 + years has been delivering state-of-art solutions to many leading names in the industry.
In fact, partnering with Sunknowledge is a practical approach to optimize the DME billing workflow at a cost-effective rate.
With a complete understanding of present industry mandates, staying updated on policy changes, payor guidelines, regulation updates, and more, Sunknowledge experts not only ensure reduced error rate but also lesser DME claims denial and rejection. Reducing your overhead expenses and taking care of all your old aging AR, Sunknowledge further assist in maximizing your practice’s financial health and helps providers to concentrate on their core expertise – delivering quality healthcare to patients.
looking for one stop destination that can help you close your billing gaps efficiently, contact our experts to learn more about our DME billing services.
Auth Bio – Josh Knoll is a seasoned healthcare industry expert with over 15 years of experience, tackling the challenges associated with billing and coding problems. His extensive background in the field has allowed him to develop a deep understanding of the complexities involved in managing DME billing and related services. As a result, Josh has become a go-to authority in the healthcare sector, assisting numerous clients in optimizing their billing processes and maximizing revenue.