Sunknowledge also maintains strict adherence to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act when contacting patients with the aim to collect unpaid dues from them. We understand the need to proactively communicate with patients with regards to collections. It is, therefore, imperative to understand the billing process thoroughly.
The Sunknowledge team acknowledges the need to be respectful and patient while communicating with patient debtors. The frequency and manner of communication make the difference between success and delays. Accurate and understandable information is the foundation of any effective collections strategy.
Knowledge of payment options, appointment history, payment trends, age of balance, and earlier communications hold the key to effective communication and establishes credibility in the eyes of the patients.
The team takes several steps to make the process effective and efficient.
- Review patient’s account quickly and accurately on an incoming call/prior to placing an outgoing call
- Communicate with the patient explaining the need for the courtesy call
- Take a payment on the account and or record a promise to pay in the notes
- Go over patient’s account information with the patient/responsible party/authorized person if needed, once the account is verified properly
- Identify the patient’s difficulties to pay on the account and to offer appropriate payment plans and/or Financial Aids based upon their situations and eligibility
- Explain and justify the charges on a statement prior to billing them to the patient
- Track and ensure effective follow up on all accounts for better turn-around
- Handle billing disputes and to justify if a charge is required to be written off
- Correspond with the attorney’s office appointed by the patient/responsible party on behalf of the provider’s office
- Communicate with payers to verify the patient’s eligibility or to discuss a claim
- Review the past due reports at the end of the month and forward the eligible accounts over to the 3rd party collections department with proper ledger write-off in the billing/patient collections system
- To correspond with the 3rd party collection agency regarding issues about patient’s account and to ensure that they are resolved in a timely manner
- Maintain a healthy relationship with the patient and offer an excellent customer service experience above all, to make sure that the provider’s business experience is outstanding in terms of the services that Sunknowledge offers in this area