Are you considering a career in healthcare? How will you know whether you fit the bill or not? To work for one of the most stable and sought-after industries in the U.S., you should have a strong zeal to learn and sustain.
Medical coding is considered among the most challenging jobs in the entire healthcare domain. But making a breakthrough is not very hard, even if you are a complete beginner. One needs to be attentive to details, reasonably proficient in using a computer, and possess a strong desire to learn and grow.
A medical coding job can mould a career in healthcare administrative processes in a significant way. Medical coding is comprised of the correct application of ICD-10-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II codes for the services rendered by providers using the coding manuals and encoding software. These codes are required for the reimbursement purpose. With the growing demand and interest, medical coding is a rapidly thriving sector. Expert, certified coders are highly sought. All one needs to have is an up-to-date knowledge of coding methodologies, an ability to meet deadlines and a passion for accuracy.
Here are 8 reasons that make a career in medical coding such a great choice:
1. Coders trained in the ICD-10 standard are in very high demand. Get the necessary training and you will start getting lucrative offers from reputed healthcare companies before long.
2. You can easily obtain education on coding. There are several online courses that let you keep your current job and pursue your coding training during your off-hours.
3. A good education and certifications can fetch you multiple job options in the related field. Similarly, you can expand career graph in medical auditing, compliance and teaching.
4. As per an AAPC survey, average medical coders earns from $ 18 to $ 30 an hour based on their experience. This adds up to some decent earnings every month.
5. Healthcare honchos are aware of the value of capable medical coders. To accomplish this, coders play a pivotal role in the industry and enjoy a position of unique significance.
6. Medical coders can work remotely and this is usually considered as a highly cost-effective option. A remote freelancing coder also enjoys a degree of flexibility that is very lucrative.
7. Medical coding offers the advantage of steady work on a predictable schedule, often with good benefits.
8. Coders provide an indispensable service to the healthcare and insurance providers. Coders provide the language for insurance companies to decode claims and begin processing payments.
In the U.S., healthcare is one of the main pillars of economy. As a medical coder, one can contribute significantly to strengthening the economic status of the country and get all the rewards of a great career. Now, isn’t that alone worth the price of admission into the wonderful world of medical coding?
Want more? Get every update right in your inbox...